Getting inked can be a life-changing experience. People often get a tattoo to imprint something meaningful on their torso or just to have some fun with a new body feature. However, not all tattoos work out. Be it an impulse decision that you do not feel like keeping or simply a bad ink job, you may feel the need to get rid of your tattoo.
Removing a tattoo is a common procedure. There are various methods of tattoo removal available on the market. In the case of certain tattoos, depending on their size and the ink quality used, dermabrasion or surgical removal may also be used. The most availed method is a laser tattoo removal treatment. Qualified tattoo removal clinics can consult you regarding the best method for removing your tattoo. Irrespective of which method you go for, you must pay close attention to the tattoo removal aftercare.
What happens in laser tattoo removal?
Mostly, people tend to choose laser tattoo removal. In this procedure, lasers are used to break up the ink particles on your skin. A single, powerful energy pulse is used for this method. The tattoo is subjected to these laser pulses. The laser, in turn, leads to the ink particles heating up. This causes the chemical in the ink to break down. In course of time, the smaller ink particles get dissolved and your tattoo fades away.
The kind of laser pulse used on your skin largely depends on the color of your tattoo. Different laser wavelengths work on different types of colors. Hence, if you have a multi-colored tattoo, you may need multiple bursts of energy pulses. The professional performing the removal may administer a topical numbing agent. This will work as an anesthetic and prevent you from feeling any discomfort during the procedure. You may require a few follow-up laser procedure sessions for the tattoo to be completely removed.
Things that can help you after tattoo removal
Taking care of your skin and overall health is of paramount importance after the tattoo removal procedure. This facilitates faster healing of your skin. The risk of scarring that is usually an after-effect of tattoo removal can be minimized by good aftercare measures. Here are some things you must remember the next time you are going for tattoo removal:
- Cover and protect: It is critical to keep the tattoo area covered with sterilized gauze for at least 72 hours after the process. You must apply an antibiotic cream as prescribed by the tattoo removal professional. This will help you avoid any infection. Using cold compresses to soothe the area and avoiding scratching any scabs is a must. Remember to avoid using any makeup products on the area for the first few weeks.
- Regulate exposure to water: It is a common myth that you are not allowed to bathe after laser removal. You can very well take a bath as long as you keep the treated area covered and dry. Further, it is advisable to avoid exposure to any high-pressure water stream until your tattoo removal area heals completely. You may want to avoid any widely used water bodies like swimming pools, lakes, or hot tubs.
- Minimize exposure to harsh sunlight: Sun can be the biggest enemy for your treated skin. You must avoid exposure to harmful UV rays at all costs. If possible, avoid direct sun exposure both before and after the tattoo removal. If you are scheduled for more than one laser session, your skin must be kept safe from tanning in between the sessions. This is because laser treatment cannot be done on tanned or sunburned skin. If you must go out in the sun, do not forget to use a potent sunscreen on the skin.
- Increase your water intake: A healthy body can help your tattoo-removed skin heal faster. Drink as much water as you can to ensure hydration. Maintaining optimum water and fluid intake can help in a lot of ways. It boosts the immune system and works at protecting the body from infections. As you replenish the fluids in your body, all the toxins get flushed out. Your body is able to generate red blood cells faster and heal better.
- Adopt healthy habits: Small healthy habits can be the key to faster healing after tattoo removal. Once a few days have passed after your treatment, you can engage in some exercise. An active blood flow leads to a faster breakdown of ink particles. Further, stay away from all forms of alcohol and tobacco. Keep your skin clean and do not pick at any blisters to let your skin heal naturally.
When it comes to safe and effective tattoo removal, you must trust Estetiq. With state-of-the-art technology and years of experience, Estetiq offers the best tattoo removal procedure in town. The well-trained professionals at Estetiq can also give you the best advice on how to take care of your skin post the procedure for fast and smooth tattoo removal.